Atoms & Matter - (8/28-9/1)

https://d2gne97vdumgn3.cloudfront.net/api/file/bVWcSARQTSUVCLi1bfgc


Summary:



Structure of an Atom:

Atoms are composed of protons (positive charge), neutrons (neutral charge), and electrons (negative charge). The inner part of the atom is called the nucleus. The nucleus has protons and neutrons. The outer part or the shell that moves around the nucleus is composed of electrons. How big is the nucleus? If the atom was the size of a football stadium, the nucleus would be the size of a marble. Between the nucleus and the shell, there is space. 

Solids, Liquids, and Gases

How can you tell if something is a solid, liquid, or a gas based on how the atoms move around? When an object is solid, the atoms vibrate in one position, they are not free to move around. An example of this would be a penny. The atoms in a liquid, move around, but they stay close and move slowly. A liquid example would be water or orange juice. In a gas, atoms move around fast and they are more separated. An example of a gas would be helium in a balloon.

Element, Compound, or Molecule?

Elements are pure substances made up of only one type of atom. An example of this would be Oxygen. A molecule has two or more atoms that can be different or the same. A compound has at least 2 different atoms, That way, all compounds are molecules, but not all molecules are compounds. An example of a compound would be carbon dioxide because it has carbon and oxygen. This is a compound and a molecule.

SP6: Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions:

In class, I constructed explanations about atoms and what they are. This has helped me learn about how they move around, the structure, and way that there are classified. We constructed explanations when we worked on a Chemthink and did an online experiment. These activities have helped me become a better scientist because they have helped me create explanations and understand the topic well enough to design solutions


XCC: Cause and Effect

A cross-cutting concept that I noticed this week is Cause and Effect. I observed that when you heat up a liquid, it becomes a gas. This is called vaporization. This happens because the atoms in the liquid start to move faster when they are heating up. Once they move faster, they have more separation and they become a gas. This can be tested with an atomic level magnifier, to see how the atoms are behaving. A prediction I can make based on the relationship is that matter can change into different states of matter based off of how the atoms and moving around. The temperature can affect how the atoms move around. That is why this is a Cause and Effect.


Multiplier:

This week, I was a learner. I wanted to learn more about atoms and matter and how it works. I learned a lot of information and I made sure that I understood it so that I would remember it. I also read extra information so that I would understand more about the topic. I wanted to know more and learn about atoms and matter. This practice has helped me learn more and understand how to be a learner.

Comments

Popular Posts

Energy Transformations - Weekly Blog (1/28-2/1)

Musical Instruments and Sound- Weekly Blog (3/11-3/15)

The Food Chain (10/26-10/30)