Mira Pinto - Analog vs. Digital Debate - WAC

Beloved Producer,

Music Recording Formats have evolved dramatically over the past century. Many recording artists and studios are torn between Analog and Digital - what is the difference? I understand that you suggest I record in an digital format for my new album. Although Digital may seem more appropriate for the 21st century, analog recordings are much better when it comes to sound quality and feeling in music. I have conducted research from many sources and come to my conclusion. First, analog recordings have all of the music. In other words, digital recordings only contain snippets of the music, not all of it. Next, analog recordings can be easier to record, as they are created with physical hardware that is accurate and reliable. Finally, Analog is more human, and sounds less robotic, which sounds better to our ears. Unlike digital recordings, using analog will provide for the best recording experience.

The main difference between analog and digital recordings is what we hear. In analog recordings, the sound is in a continuous wave, so we hear all of the music. However, in digital recordings, only parts of the sound is recorded, meaning that you may be missing important parts of the sound. According to the informative video, Analog or Digital (1993,) “In analog, sound is converted into analogous electrical waves. In digital, instead of a continuous wave, you get samples of the wave... So by definition, when you listen to digitized music, you’re not hearing all the music, just slices of it.” (1.20.) This shows that rather than listening to all of the music, my listeners would only hear half the story. “The idea between digital recording is that our ears and brains technically can’t determine the spaces between the digital values, just like our brains interpret the film as continuous motion. However, to many people, analog sound tends to be warmer, has more texture and is thought to capture a truer representation of the actual sound. Digital is felt to be somewhat cold, technical and perhaps lacking in analog’s nuance.” (Paragraph 9.) When I record my songs, I hope that listeners can hear all of the texture and overall sound. This shows that with analog, I will not be disappointed by the results.

As well as making the experience better for listeners, analog recordings provide a better recording and editing experience. According to the article, Analogue Vs Digital: Advantages Vs Disadvantages, by CHARMAIN2010, “Working with physical hardware such as a mixing desk makes recording a little easier, especially as computers aren’t always accurate. And having physical equipment can look really good and somewhat more professional.” (Paragraph 6.) This supports the idea that analog recording devices are a lot easier to use, and can make the sound clearer and more uniform, producing a crisper sound. The same article mentions, “Working on big sessions with analog equipment won’t slow down unlike with digital equipment. Analog also uses less bandwidth and has a natural compression to it.” (Paragraph 7.) This shows that analog recordings will not only create a better sound, it will also provide a better experience for you, the producer. Consequently, analog recordings are easier to record and edit, making it a better experience than using a digital recording system.

I understand that you believe that we should use a digital recording system for my new album. One of the reasons you may believe this is because digital fixed many issues encountered when using analog recording systems. “Digital has certain perfect things about it. It immediately solved all the problems of analog: background noise, pitch control, and more.” says Michael Fremer. Although this makes digital sound amazing, as well as solving problems, it created new issues. In the video, Analog or Digital (1993,) Michael Fremer said, “It created hundreds of other problems that everybody was willing to ignore...Audio files say that while digital provides sound that is crisp and clear, it misses subtleties in the sound that analog recording and vinyl captured.” (1.05.) Instead of focusing on just the pros of digital, we need to learn about the negatives to realize that analog recording systems are better.

When I publish a new album, I hope for my listeners to feel emotion in my music. Rather than sounding robotic, like digital, I hope that all of the original sound is heard. I want my songs to convey meaning, and leave listeners in a thoughtful mood. According to the article, Why does analog sound better than digital, by Steve Guttenberg, “So if you really love listening to music--not just as background sound to accompany work, exercise, or driving--but if you love music enough to give it your undivided attention, then analog ought to be worth checking out.” (Paragraph 7) If I want my listeners to truly hear my music, I need to use an analog digital recording system.

After conducting deep investigations on whether analog or digital recording systems are better, I have come to my conclusion. I have considered your opinion on the topic, however, I still feel analog recording systems are better for my values in music. Although digital may seem like a more advanced recording system, analog recordings are much better when it comes to sound quality and emotion. Analog recordings contain all that is recorded. Unlike digital recordings, which only contain parts of the music, not all of it. Next, analog recordings can be easier to record, and are created with physical hardware that is accurate and reliable. Finally, Analog is more human, and sounds less robotic, which sounds better to our ears. That is why I will be using an analog recording system for my new album.


Thank you for your time,

Mira Pinto
[Famous Music Artist]

Comments

Popular Posts

Musical Instruments and Sound- Weekly Blog (3/11-3/15)

The Food Chain (10/26-10/30)

Three Sisters - Plate Tectonics (3/19 - 3/23)