Carbon Cycle (1/15-1/19)

https://eo.ucar.edu/kids/green/images/carboncycle_sm.jpg

Summary:



You may be familiar with carbon, the sixth element in the periodic table. It is part of the soil, surface water, marine life, the atmosphere, deep ocean, land plants, and living things. Carbon is in a lot of places that you may be familiar with. In fact, it moves through the carbon cycle. Carbon moves from the atmosphere to various plants through a process called photosynthesis. Carbon and Oxygen create the molecule carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is one of the items that plants need to create sugars, or glucose through a process called photosynthesis.


Next, carbon travels from plants to animals through the food chains. In the food chain, plants are the producers. When herbivores eat plants to survive, the carbon moves from the plant to the animal. Secondary producers also get this carbon when they eat other animals. When carbon is found in something living (biotic), it is called organic carbon.

When plants and animals decay, the carbon moves to the ground. This process is called decomposition. This carbon can become fossil fuels in a long, long time.Carbon then moves from biotic (or living) things into the atmosphere. When humans exhale, they release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. This process is called respiration.

When fuels are burned, carbon moves from fossil fuels into the atmosphere. Fossil fuels are burned by humans in factories, power plants, cars and trucks, and more. Carbon dioxide is released from vehicle and factory emissions and enters the atmosphere. The final way that carbon moves are from the atmosphere to the various bodies of water. This happens when the oceans soak up carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.



SP2: Developing and Using Models


This week, I modeled the carbon cycle when I researched and started to draw out my cartoon. I showed the various ways that carbon moves around with this model. I created this cartoon to help the reader understand more about the carbon cycle in a fun and interesting way. I refined my cartoon of the carbon cycle as I learned and researched more about it. This model has helped me understand and continue learning about the carbon cycle.

XCC: Patterns

This week in class, I observed a pattern in the carbon cycle. According to the dictionary, a cycle is a series of events that are regularly repeated in the same order. The carbon cycle is a repeated cycle that shows the process that carbon travels in. Carbon moves from the atmosphere to various plants through a process called photosynthesis. Next, carbon travels from plants to animals through the food chains. In the food chain, plants are the producers. When herbivores eat plants to survive, the carbon moves from the plant to the animal and becomes organic carbon. Carbon moves to the ground with decomposition and can become fossil fuels in a long, long time.Carbon then moves from biotic (or living) things into the atmosphere with a process called respiration.Carbon dioxide is released from vehicle and factory emissions and enters the atmosphere. The final way that carbon moves are from the atmosphere to the various bodies of water. This process continuously repeats itself over, and over again. Based on this pattern, I can predict that carbon is a very important element. Learning more about this pattern and cycle has helped me understand more about carbon and the ways that it is used.

Multiplier

This week, I was a creator. I did my best to answer all of the questions and contribute all of what I knew about the carbon cycle with my group so that we could all understand the topic. I contributed all of my knowledge about the project to my group so that we all understood the topic to the highest level. I also did the best research I could so that I could do my best work on my cartoon to my best effort. When creating my cartoon, I said, "I will do it," so that I could complete the assignment to the best of my abilities.

Comments

Popular Posts

Musical Instruments and Sound- Weekly Blog (3/11-3/15)

The Food Chain (10/26-10/30)

African Forest Elephants (2/5-2/9)