The Water Cycle

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/wgifs/Watercycle.GIF

Summary:
This week we were learning about the water cycle. A water cycle (aka The Hydrologic Cycle) is water moving in a cycle. Similar to a butterfly's life cycle. Read the story below. Can you figure out who I am? 

Once upon a time, It was raining, and I fell to the dirt. I was hoping that I would evaporate, but instead I got absorbed by plants' roots. That part did not feel good. Then the plants started sweating, and I got to the leaves of the plants and started rising to the clouds. It was really cold & moist in there! The cloud became heavy, so it let go of me, and I landed in the ocean. The ocean was a pretty nice place. There were a lot of my friends there, which I got connected to. There were a lot of organisms there too. I stayed in the ocean for a really long time, watching the food chains happening before my eyes. After a while I started getting really bored. One day, when it was super hot, I felt as if I was going to fry, I started evaporating to the clouds. It was really dense in the clouds, and I started getting bored after about 3 minutes. Luckily, it was a cloudy day, and it started raining. I fell to the ocean. Who knows how long I stayed in the ocean! 

Have you figured out who I am yet? Let me explain this in a more scientific way...

The first thing that happened to me was getting absorbed by plants. The plants were using me to go through Photosynthesis. When plants go through Photosynthesis, they use sun, carbon dioxide, soil nutrients, and water to make food. The next thing that happened to me was transpiration. Transpiration is when the water leaves the plant. This is like how people sweat. They do this to cool down. The water gets transported from the roots to the leaves, and then it starts to evaporate.When water gets condensed, it changes into a liquid and forms into a cloud. After I turned into a cloud, I precipitated to the ocean. Precipitation is when the clouds get heavy and the water falls from the sky, in different forms (As an example, right now it is raining as I am writing this blog). After I fell to the ocean, I got evaporated. Evaporation is when the heat from the sun turns the water into vapor, or a gas (this can also be steam)Have you ever had a hot shower? After your shower there is steam. This is evaporation. Later I condensed again, and I precipitated.

I hope you learned from my story and my explanation. Have you figured out who I was?  That's right! I was a Water Droplet changing forms. The 2 forms that I was in were a liquid, and a gas. I could have been in a solid form if I precipitated as hail or snow. The water cycle is really fun to learn about.

Comments

Popular Posts

Musical Instruments and Sound- Weekly Blog (3/11-3/15)

The Food Chain (10/26-10/30)

African Forest Elephants (2/5-2/9)