Charity Fair Project Blog



This is my group's charity fair poster
Summary: 
From this year's charity fair I learned that it is really fun, and important to help people that really need help. Another thing that I learned was that I will learn from this year's charity fair, for the next years' charity fair. Another thing that I learned is that the prices of the items/products can't be too expensive. There are quite a few thing that I learned for next year, but you will learn more about that in Forward Looking.

What my group did at the charity Fair:
During the charity fair, my friends and I were saving money for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. To make the money, we were selling woven goods (scarves, bracelets, headbands, and pompoms.) For the scarves, some of the bracelets, and the headbands, we used finger knitting. We made $36.75 for the charity that we chose. The assignments that we had to do for the charity fair were, a carbon footprint graph, a persuasive writing essay, where we were supposed to write why we chose the charity. We also created step-by-step instructions on how to make the products. We also practiced our math skills by creating a product cost spreadsheet. The table showed our cost to create the products, and the profit that will be given to a charity. Last, but not least, we had fun creating the products!

Why I chose this charity:
Our group chose the BCRF (Breast Cancer Research Foundation) because we found out that this organization really helps research all about breast cancer. We also really liked the ratings for this charity on Charity Watch, and Charity Navigator. My group was trying really hard to find a good charity that gives most of the money straight to the research. The BCRF gives 91 cents of every dollar directly to the research and curing breast cancer. 

Backward Looking: 
Before we started the project, I did not know about the BCRF, and all of the amazing things that they do for us. Another thing that I did not know is that it takes a lot of time, and work to make finger knitted scarves, and that we should have started making our items earlier.

Inward Looking: 
I really feel good about the products that we  because they really looked bright, and good. What I did not like is that sometimes my group was arguing about the colors, and how to make the products. One thing that I really enjoyed, was presenting the products to the people, and calculating the money that we got from selling, because I know that this money can help end breast cancer.

Outward Looking:
If I was giving my project a grade, I would give it a 9.5/10. Why? I believe that my group did the poster pretty well because we put everything that we needed to on it, and it was detailed. What I was not really happy about was the decisions on pricing the items. I did not like that we decided to price the scarves so high. We were not watching the time when we were selling, and we forgot to put everything on 50% off sale, as we originally planned.

Forward Looking: 
If I had a chance to change my project, I would make the prices of our items a little cheaper. I would also plan out the poster before putting in the carbon footprint and the step by step instructions, because they did not fit well the way I organized it. Another thing that I would redo if I could, would be the pompoms. We decided to make them at the last moment, and did not realize that we needed more practice, and yarn to make them.

This was one of the best school activities, because we had fun, and the money went to a good cause!

Comments

Popular Posts

Musical Instruments and Sound- Weekly Blog (3/11-3/15)

The Food Chain (10/26-10/30)

African Forest Elephants (2/5-2/9)